Travel to Windridge
*We ask that campers arrive and depart between 10am and noon on opening and closing day.
Campers and their families arriving by car will be greeted at the parking area by our staff. They will direct you to the check-in desk for registration. There you will turn in spending money, airline tickets and passports and confirm departure plans. Cabin assignments will be given, and counselors will escort campers to their camp home. As part of our check-in process, your child will visit with the nurse for a health screening.
Directions from the south:
- Connecticut, New York and New Jersey: Take Interstate 91 North to White River Junction, VT and pick up Interstate 89 North (toward Barre).
- Boston: Take I-93 North to I-89 in Concord, NH to White River Junction, VT and continue up Interstate 89 North (toward Barre).
- Follow I-89 to Exit 5 in Vermont (Northfield) and turn left. Take Rt. 64-W down the hill toward Northfield to the STOP sign (about 3 miles). Go straight across Rt. 12 and continue straight on the dirt road (Lovers Lane) for approx. ½ mile. At the end of Lovers Lane, turn left onto Rt. 12A. Windridge is about 5 miles south on the left hand side.
Directions from the north:
- Burlington, VT and Montreal: Take I-89 South to Exit 5 (Northfield) and turn right. Take Rt. 64-W down the hill toward Northfield to the STOP sign (about 3 miles). Go straight across Rt. 12 and continue straight on the dirt road (Lovers Lane) for approx. ½ mile. At the end of Lovers Lane, turn left onto Rt. 12A. Windridge is about 5 miles south on the left hand side.
Driving times: Boston 3 hours, New York City 5 hours, Montreal 2½ hours, Hartford 3 hours, Burlington 1 hour.
*This option is for campers from the New York and Connecticut area
Windridge has arranged for a coach bus to transport campers to and from camp, from the Manhattan area, with stops in Darien and Hartford, CT. Counselors are on board to supervise, entertain, and make this a fun and sociable trip. To reserve a space for your child, please complete and return the required TRAVEL AND CHARTER BUS FORM with payment as soon as possible. Space is limited.
- The bus company prohibits eating on the bus, but campers should bring lunch and will be able to disembark at the stops and have their lunch or use the rest rooms.
- The bus does have a restroom on board.
- Vending machines are available for snack purchases. If campers want to make purchases they should bring along a couple of dollars in change.
- The campers will have a snack at camp upon arrival.
Pickup times on opening day:
New York City: Metropolitan Museum of Art (front) 7:00 AM departure.
Darien, CT.: First rest area north of exit 12 on I-95 (N) 8:00 AM departure.
Hartford, CT.: Exit 24 on I-91 (N), Wethersfield, in the Comfort Inn parking lot, 9:15 AM departure.
Drop off times on closing day:
*These times are approximations and can change due to departure time, traffic, and other delays. We will try to be in touch with updated times as the day progresses.
Hartford, CT.: Exit 24 on I-91 (S), Wethersfield, in the Comfort Inn parking lot at 11:30 AM.
Darien, CT.: First rest area south of exit 10 on I-95 (S) at 1:15 PM.
NYC: Metropolitan Museum of Art (front) at 2:30 PM
Commercial airlines have direct service to Burlington, VT (BTV) from Logan in Boston, O’Hare in Chicago, Dulles in Washington, JFK in New York City and Newark in New Jersey. We meet campers at the Burlington Airport and Logan Airport in Boston (BOS) on opening day and will return them to the airport on closing day.
Arrivals to Burlington (BTV), we request that you schedule flights to arrive before or as close as possible to noon.
Arrivals to Logan in Boston (BOS), we request that you schedule flights to arrive in Boston between 1 PM and 5 PM or as close to that time as possible.
Departures from the Burlington (BTV), should be booked to depart before or as close as possible to noon.
Departures from Logan in Boston (BOS), should be scheduled after 12 PM and not the last flight of the day.
Return trip tickets or e-ticket confirmation should be secured by you in advance and must be received by us on opening day.
Please arrange to have your child fly “Unaccompanied Minor” (UM) status as required by the airlines. This should be done when you are making flight reservations and a proof of purchase for the “UM” fee in each direction should be requested. Please send us a copy of this proof of purchase or the airline will require us to pay the “UM” fee for the camper’s return journey. The airline will ask who is meeting the camper at the airport. Please designate Ramsey Hoehn, Camp Director, as the person meeting the camper. We give all drivers a letter authorizing them to pick up campers as an agent of the camp. Ramsey Hoehn signs the letter and staff members show a picture ID card that matches the identification number in the authorization letter before they are allowed to pick up the camper. In order for this transportation to run smoothly, we must have an accurate itinerary.
The Berlin, VT airport is the closest private plane airport for your convenience and is located 20 minutes from Windridge. If you need to arrange transportation from the Berlin airport to camp, please notify the office.
CONFIRMATION OF ARRIVAL
On opening day, we encourage parents who are sending their child to camp by commercial transportation to call the office three hours after your child’s scheduled arrival time. We will also begin to post pictures on the internet the first day of camp.